Please print and return the following application form:
Payment information is below. Send completed application and payment to:
Mississippi Vital Records
P.O. Box 1700
Jackson, MS 39215-1700
- Complete the information sections of this form. PLEASE PRINT.
- The application must be signed.
- Payment: Send a personal check, bank or postal money order, or a bank cashier's check in the correct amount made payable to Mississippi Vital Records. We accept no responsibility for cash sent through the mail.
- The death certificate is the most important legal document in the settlement of the estate and insurance. It is important that the information on the certificate is correct. When you receive copies of the death certificate, check particularly spelling of names and that dates are correct.
- If there are incorrect items on the certificate and the death occurred less than one year ago, please notify the funeral director who filed the certificate.
- If there are incorrect items on the certificate and the death occurred more than one year ago, a court order may be required. Please contact Vital Records at the above address for additional information.
- The fee for a certified copy of a death certificate is $17. Each additional copy ordered at the same time costs $6.
- If the date of death is uncertain, a five-year search of our records will be made. If the record is not on file, only the fees paid for any additional copies, if any, will be refunded.
Photo ID Requirement
If you are applying for yourself, or you are applying for someone else as their spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, child, grandchild, guardian, or legal representative, then you must provide a completed application and a copy of your valid photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification are the following:
- State Issued Driver's License
- State Issued Photo ID
- Employment ID
- School, College or University ID
- US Military ID
- Tribal ID
- Alien Registration/Permanent Resident Card
- Temporary Resident Card
- US Passport
Guardian or legal representative must submit proof of guardianship/legal representation with this application. Legal representatives must provide attorney bar number, name of person represented, and their relationship to the registrant. If you are an agent of a local, state or federal agency requesting a record, indicate in the space provided for "relationship" the name of the agency.
Failure to Receive
If your records fail to arrive, notify the Vital Records office. Complaints of failure to receive certified records will be honored within 6 months of the original request. If the copy was to be returned to you by U. S. Postal Service, please allow 3 weeks after mailing the request before inquiring. Inquiry about copies ordered with payment for special courier delivery should be made within 7 days of the request. Mail returned because of insufficient address or address changes will be re-mailed if this office is notified of the correct address within 6 months of request.
For more information: e-mail VRInfo@msdh.ms.gov or contact our Vital Records office at (601) 206-8200.